Things I’ve done over the past three days to meet my 2017 resolutions:
- My husband is still quite sick, so I’ve been letting him sleep, running to the pharmacy to get over-the-counter meds, and ordering his favorite Wonton-Egg Drop soup from our local Chinese take-out restaurant.
- Called my sister to follow up on some legal issues, but also to inquire about the progress she’s made on hunting for a vacation home on the Oregon coast.
- Randomly called my friend Andrea (a professor in the Washington, DC area) to see how she was doing and to have a Seinfeld-esque conversation about nothing.
- Posted a picture of my husband and myself at Niagara Falls from our chilly Boxing Day visit, a YouTube cover of Van Morrison’s “And It Stoned Me” by a favorite artist (Passenger), and a link to a video dance tribute to the Pulse Nightclub shooting to Facebook. #MyOwnHappinessProject.
- Saw my therapist for my bimonthly mental tune up. I’ve only been going to her for a couple of months now, since my mother’s passing, but have already come to appreciate her Jewish grandmother-hippie-Eastern philosophy based-approach to mental wellness. For our agreed upon approach for the near term, we’ve decided to try and develop positivity rather than dwell on old hurts. I’ve got a nice reading list and a suggestion to continue daily meditation.
- Stuck to batching my work emails, checking them only first thing in the morning, right before lunch, and just before I leave for the day.
- Got a 90-minute massage and hit the gym twice.
- Sat with my colleagues and chatted socially at lunch rather than responding to student inquiries.